Tuesday, November 25, 2008

UPDATE - I'm Reviewing My Free Credit Report

UPDATE - This is for Todd. Credit report looks good. Credit freeze is on! It was easy to do online at:

Experian
TransUnion
Equifax

Cost for all 3 was $0 (FREE) for Indiana residents.

____________________________________________________________________

This morning I went to annualcreditreport.com and printed my credit report from the three credit bureaus for free.

Annualcreditreport.com is the official site to get your free credit report without any strings attached that could cost you money.

There are other sites with hypnotically catching jingles (you just can't get it out of your head) that claim to be free but that come with strings attached. The most common is automatic enrollment in a "free" trial membership to a credit monitoring service. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7 day trial you get billed $14.95/mo. until you cancel.

I'm going to review my reports to make sure that there isn't anything on them that I'm not aware of. If there is, I'll investigate because it might be a sign that someone is using my identity to request credit.

After I'm sure that my credit report is in good order, I'm going to freeze my credit so that no one can open a credit account using my identity.

4 comments:

Todd C said...

Dave,

I'll be waiting for your post that says you froze your credit.

Todd

Justin Moore said...

One thing I hear Dave Ramsey and other financial gurus suggest is to NOT pull all three of your credit reports at the same time, but instead to pull one of them every four months. Experian in January, Transunion in May, and Equifax in September for example. This lets you keep a closer eye on your credit and is still free!

Dave Moore said...

Justin,

That's a good plan. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Anonymous said...

TheGiftRevolution.com is a global movement to inspire the world through acts of giving, because when a gift is given, whether big or small, it makes a world of difference. Person to person, community to community, country to country, you can follow the journey and share your story here.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!! Join the revolution!